Facts are sometimes boring to many people, but here’s some interesting facts about grandparents in the USA that may open a few eyes, especially among church leaders, about the impact grandparents have… or could have on the next generations. Consider the following from Grandparents.com
- There are 80 million grandparents in the USA – yes, 80 million!
- Grandparents represent one-third of the population with 1.7 million new grandparents added to the ranks every year.
- Grandparents lead 37% of all U.S. households in this country — that’s 50 million households nationwide
- Most grandparents love being grandparents – 72% think being a grandparent is the single most important and satisfying thing in their life.
- 63% say they can do a better job caring for grandchildren than they did their own children.
- The average age of grandparents in this country is 48. About 43% became grandparents in their fifties, and 37% in their forties.
- Grandparents like to spend time with their grandchildren – 60% live close to their grandchildren.
- 70% see the grandchildren at least once a week.
- 81% have their grandchildren for part or all of their summer vacation.
- 72% take care of their grandchildren on a regular basis.
- 86% bake cookies for their family.
Most grandparents, the majority of whom are relatively young, are highly invested in their grandchildren and want to pass on a heritage of faith to them. Sadly, many are unsure how to do this. They need the support and encouragement of their church. They want to be equipped, and when they are, the children and families in the church will benefit as they are encouraged to know, love and walk with Jesus.
If you are a pastor and do not have a grandparenting ministry which engages, equips and encourages grandparents to pass on a heritage of faith, there’s no time like the present to start. Doing so will significantly benefit the children and families in your ministry … your entire church. To learn how to develop an effective grandparenting equipping ministry in your church, I urge you attend the Legacy Grandparenting Summit this November. You’ll hear from grandparents like Chuck Swindoll, Josh McDowell, Michelle Anthony, Jay Kessler, Gary Chapman, John Trent, Wayne Rice, and many more wonderful speakers and workshop leaders who will challenge and encourage you! Click here for all the details.
See you in Texas!
Lynda has three sweet rascal grandsons who make her heart happy! She is the author of Deeper In 4 Grandparents & Parents, Too! Praying the Scriptures for the Children You Love, It Is Impossible to Spoil Grandchildren and Science, the Bible & Fun – a curriculum with 52 weeks of Bible learning and fun for grandparents and grandchildren. She also writes the blog, grandma’s cookie jar. Lynda is a Senior Writer and Editor for the Legacy Coalition.